It’s raining cats and dogs outside and there’s no way I’m setting foot outside today.
Juggling with plums.
Making Preserves (lemons and tomatoes).
Sipping tea and eating cake.
What are your rainy sundays like?
Plum and almond cake
Gateau aux prunes et aux amandes
Serves 6 to 8
Prep 15 min cook 35 min
- 600 g plums halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- pinch cinnamon
For the batter
- 120 g almond meal
- 80 g flour
- 100 g raw cane sugar
- 90 g butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 vanilla bean (scraped seeds)
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Toss the plums with 2 tablespoons sugar, the lemon juice and the cognac. Add a pinch of cinnamon. Toss well and reserve for later.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C. Put the butter to melt in the oven (into the clafoutis or tart shape that you will use for the cake). Reserve for later.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the batter in a bowl.
Incorporate the eggs one by one, then the melted the butter.
- Pour the batter into the buttered tart shape. Top with the plum halves (skin down).
Finally drizzle the plum juices over the cake.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until golden and until the tip of a knife comes out clean but moist.
- Leave to cool and serve with a spoon of ice cream or creme fraiche.