The little lady is at the age (18 months) when she’ll run to the kitchen whenever i am in there insisting on helping with everything: from cooking to unloading the dishwasher and the errands. So cute… although a bit annoying/stressfull at times. She’ll push the kitchen step stool to the counter and get perched on it ready for action. We usually cook soup, lunch and tea time together. Petit Tom is more interested in legos lately than in everyday cooking but will join in to bake.
Some time ago i shared some handy tips for stressless cooking with kids. This quiche (and most sweet or savoury tarts) is great to cook together and to get the kiddos interested into veggies and new tastes. Don’t be offended though if like mine they nibble more during the cooking process than during the actual meal!
Pea and zucchini quiche
Quiche aux petits pois et courgettes
- 1 roll puff pastry (~350 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large zucchini, finely sliced
- 100 g green peas (i used frozen)
- 3 organic eggs
- 150 ml creme fraiche or double cream
- 80 g grated parmeggiano reggiano
- 1 handful fresh herbs (i used mostly basil with a bit of chives and oregano), finely chopped
- zest of half a lemon (organic), grated
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 190 °C. Line a 28 cm circular tart shape (or a rectangular oven dish ~30cmx20cm) with baking paper and the rolled out puff pastry [or have the kid do it]
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan on medium to high heat. Stir fry the onion for a minute or two, then add the finely sliced zucchini and the peas. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until the zucchini starts to soften and color. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, whip the eggs lightly. Incorporate the creme fraiche/double cream, whipping the mixture slowly. Stir in the 3/4 of the parmeggiano, lemon zest and fresh herbs. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. [the babe helps here too at although I supervise the breaking of the eggs and hand the ingredients one by one]
- Distribute the veggies evenly over the dough, pour the egg mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. [the kid will do well here too but beware for the gourmands who will nibble all the peas before they reach the quiche 😉 ] Delicately put in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely golden. Leave to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.